- Not to be confused with the live action movie, Like a Dragon (Live Action Movie) or its prequel, Like a Dragon: Prologue (Live Action Movie).
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (龍が如く7 光と闇の行方, Ryū ga Gotoku 7: Hikari to Yami no Yukue, lit. "Like a Dragon 7: Whereabouts of Light and Darkness"), also known as Yakuza 7 and previously known as Shin Ryū ga Gotoku (新龍が如く, lit. "Like a New Dragon" or "New Like a Dragon"), is a role-playing game (categorized as a "Dramatic RPG" on SEGA's official Ryu ga Gotoku 7 website) for the PlayStation 4.
It has been developed by Ryu ga Gotoku Studio as the eighth main installment (fourteenth overall) of the Yakuza series. It was released in Japan on January 16, 2020 and is scheduled for a worldwide release in 2020.
In 2001, 24-year-old junior Arakawa Family man Ichiban Kasuga is implored by his patriarch Masumi Arakawa to take the fall for a murder committed by someone else. Kasuga thinks that this is his opportunity to become a Tojo Clan hero, and accepts. However, when he is released eighteen years later in 2019, he emerges to find that no-one remembers him.
Kasuga's search for answers takes him to Kamurocho, where he seeks his former patriarch. When he catches up with Arakawa however, Arakawa shoots him. Days later, Kasuga wakes up underneath a pile of garbage with a crudely-stitched-up wound in his chest. The first person he sees is a man with glasses, who tells him that he is in Isezaki Ijincho, Yokohama.
- Yakuza series creator Toshihiro Nagoshi appeared at the Yakuza: Like a Dragon conference at Akihabara UDX Theater and the Yakuza: Like a Dragon stall at the Tokyo Game Show 2019 against medical advice, as he had recently had heart surgery and was suffering from broken ribs as a result.
- This is the first game that serves as a sequel to the Kiryu Saga.
- This game is on track to be the first main series Yakuza game that is released in English the same year as the Japanese version.
- This will also be the first game in the series to debut on XBOX ONE/Series X and PC on the same day as it's Playstation 4 release in the west.
- Like a Dragon is the second game in the Yakuza main series to feature an English Dub and it is the first time in 15 years since Yakuza to have an English Dub in the main series as well.
Official Art & Render
- ↑ 龍が如く7 光と闇の行方(PlayStation®4) | セガ公式サイト (in Japanese). Retrieved 24 Sep 2019.
- ↑ 『龍が如く7 光と闇の行方』は横浜・伊勢佐木異人町がメインだが、東京・神室町と大阪・蒼天堀にも行ける (in Japanese). IGN Japan, 14 Sep 2019. Retrieved 17 Sep 2019.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Tetsuya Inamoto (29 Aug 2019) "「龍が如く7 光と闇の行方」発表会レポート。シリーズで培ったアクションをコマンド入力式のバトルへと昇華。仲間との絆を描く物語にも注目 - 4Gamer.net" (in Japanese). 4Gamer.net. Retrieved 23 Sep 2019
| Main series||Yakuza • Yakuza 2 • Yakuza 3 • Yakuza 4 • Yakuza 5 • Yakuza 0 • Yakuza 6 • Yakuza: Like a Dragon|
| Remakes||Yakuza Kiwami • Yakuza Kiwami 2|
| Spin-offs||Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! • Kurohyou: Ryu ga Gotoku Shinsho • Yakuza: Dead Souls • Kurohyou 2: Ryu ga Gotoku Ashura-hen • Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin! • Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise • Ryu ga Gotoku Online • Judgment|