Yakuza Kiwami 2 (龍が如く 極2, Ryū ga Gotoku: Kiwami 2, lit. "Like a Dragon: Extreme 2") is a remake of of the original 2006 Yakuza 2. It is a sequel to Yakuza Kiwami, which is a remake of the original Yakuza. While the game's main storyline is identical to that of the original Yakuza 2, a number of new features are included. These primarily include the use of the engine, graphics and combat system of Yakuza 6, rerecorded (and partially recast) voice acting, and a new storyline named Majima Saga that stars Goro Majima as a playable character and is unlocked over the course of the main story.
The game was released in Japan for the PlayStation 4 on December 7, 2017. It was released worldwide on August 28, 2018, and was later ported to the PC on May 9, 2019.
There are a total of 16 chapters, with an additional 3 for Majima Saga:
- Chapter 1: Letter of Blood
- Chapter 2: The Dragon of Kansai
- Chapter 3: The Yakuza Huntress
- Chapter 4: The Four Kings of Omi
- Chapter 5: Hidden Past
- Chapter 6: Schemes
- Chapter 7: The Foreign Threat
- Chapter 8: Suspect
- Chapter 9: The Omi Invasion
- Chapter 10: Survivors
- Chapter 11: The Iron Creed
- Chapter 12: Osaka Castle
- Chapter 13: Settling Accounts
- Chapter 14: The Go-Ryu March
- Chapter 15: Blood and Bonds
- Chapter 16: Decision
The game mainly follows series protagonist Kazuma Kiryu, who retains his "Dragon" brawling style from the previous entries. A brand new side story mode (titled "Majima Saga") allows series regular Goro Majima to be playable as he attempts to quell the war between the Tojo Clan and the Omi Alliance.
The game uses the improved Dragon Engine that was previously used for Yakuza 6.
Where the PS4 version is locked at 30fps and runs at 900p (1080p on PS4 Pro), the PC version adds features and enhanced gameplay structures such as 4K resolution, unlocked framerates, and customizable controls. Kiwami 2 also features a field-of-view slider for the first time in the series. This facilitates the use of ultra-wide monitors or allows the FOV to be turned down for those who suffer from vertigo when playing games with high FOVs.
- Batting Center
- Cabaret Club Grand Prix
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Gravure Photoshoot
- The original Yakuza 2 had an Osaka district called Shinseicho, which was cut from the remake entirely.
- The original Yakuza 2 also featured a substory which featured Kamurocho Lullaby in its entirety, despite the game not even featuring a karaoke mode. This was omitted in Kiwami 2, despite its addition of a karaoke mode.
- The game files for Kiwami 2 contain a considerable amount of development assets for Judgment, including Case File placeholder pictures, food/drink icons, and even an early model of Takayuki Yagami.
||Yakuza • Yakuza 2 • Yakuza 3 • Yakuza 4 • Yakuza 5 • Yakuza 0 • Yakuza 6 • Yakuza: Like a Dragon|
||Yakuza Kiwami • Yakuza Kiwami 2|
||Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! • Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin!|
||Kurohyou: Ryu ga Gotoku Shinsho • Kurohyou 2: Ryu ga Gotoku Ashura-hen|
||Judgment • Lost Judgment|
||Ryu ga Gotoku Mobile for GREE • Yakuza: Dead Souls • Ryu ga Gotoku Kizuna • Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise • Ryu ga Gotoku Online • Streets of Kamurocho|